Monday, September 4, 2017

Birthday Time!



Dear Family,

Another wonderful week filled with miracles here in Middleton has come and gone. It is so unfair how quickly the time goes by, but I guess I just have to learn to be grateful for the time that Heavenly Father does bless me with.

The eclipse last Monday was pretty cool. We went to this member's home that lives on a hill so you could see most of the valley. Leading up to the eclipse things started to get slightly dim. One unexpected thing was the temperature dropping. It got the darkest around 11:30, and it was cool to see the lights come on throughout the valley. It got pretty light quickly after that and it was over. I wish we could have been somewhere that had the total eclipse, because just with that little bit of sun still shining it was pretty light. But it was still an amazing experience that makes me think of the wonder of God's creation. 



We found a new investigator this week! He lives with a member of the church and the sisters taught some of the other family members about a year ago. This week, about the fifth or sixth time that we have talked to C., we asked if he would be interested in us coming and teaching him. He told us that he isn't really interested in the church, but that we could come over and talk about our beliefs. That is not a response that we get very often, so we were pretty excited. We went a couple of days later with a sister in the ward and taught most of the first lesson. C. has read the Bible 5 times over that last 15ish years. When we talked about God's love for us, we asked him if he has felt that love in his life. He told us about how the birth of his son was one major time that he felt God's love for him. We had a great talk about Christ and His earthly ministry. One thing that I love about this mission is that 9 out of 10 people that you talk to have this strong belief in Jesus Christ. We were running out of time and we could only briefly teach the restoration, but what we did teach about it was well received. We were also able to tell him that we believe we have a prophet in our day, and that he leads and guides us through direct revelation from Jesus Christ. We were able to set up a return appointment for this next week, stay tuned for how that goes!

We also found a couple of potential investigators. There is this girl in our ward who just got back from her mission. We went out with her about a month ago and went over to this family that she used to know. We talked to them about the Meridian Temple and invited them to the open house, which they seemed excited about. Then we told them what we do as missionaries, and asked if we could come back and teach them, and they both said that we could! We are going back tomorrow.

Sister Helm moved back to Middleton after her mission! I lived in the same apartment with Sister Helm for 6 weeks back in Nampa during all of the crazy winter weather. Now she is back and I am trying to make myself call her Jenni. I am very excited for her to be here, she already has brought me Costa Vida for my birthday and she is planning on driving me to a baptism in Halfway, Oregon in October. And my birthday was good! We did service for most of the day so that was fun. In the morning we helped a less-active lady in her garage, and in the afternoon we helped clean out horse stalls for these other less-actives. This older couple lives in this upstairs room in a barn, which is actually nicer than you think it would be. We had dinner with them later in the day, and they knew it was my birthday. They got me one of those huge chocolate cakes from Costco that are super rich. They sent it home with us, and we were about to drive away without it, but I remember and ran back up the stairs to their apartment to take that cake. More than half of it is left so I am going to try and share with some of the elders today. 

Thank you to everyone that sent me stuff for birthday! It was a good day and I couldn't ask for anything better on my birthday than to be a missionary.

Love,
Sister Jensen







No comments:

Post a Comment