Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year!



Dear Family,

Just another week in paradise, though it went by a little slower due to the holidays. "After the holidays" is a phrase we have become very familiar with. As for general updates, it continues to snow and everyone continues to tell us that the winter hasn't been this bad since the 80s. Also, this monstrous cold front is coming through and it will be below zero. I am trying really hard to not have a spirit of complaining, but sometimes the Lord just tries you.

We spent a lot of time this week with recent converts and less actives, and only taught one lesson to an investigator. That was with Brother R., who I really enjoy teaching. We read 2 Nephi 31 with him and talked about baptism. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but one reason I love teaching him so much is that whenever he feels the Spirit, he just does this little wrinkly smile that just kills me every time. 

Our pipes have not been loving the cold temperatures either. Thursday morning, when I tried to wash my hands (I was the first one in the bathroom) water came out for a few seconds then just stopped. Our pipes were frozen and we had no water. That morning, we drove to the church to use the bathroom, then called President Sorensen's wife to get permission to shower at their house. They of course let us. We ate breakfast there, and the thought just crossed my mind that I never thought the night before that I would be eating at the Mission President's house the next morning. People always say that the mission schedule is so strict, but you never really know where you are going to end up or what you will be doing as a missionary. And I kind of love that. 

We had to be in at 6 on New Years Eve.  The Life of Jesus Christ videos came in the mail this week, so I just watched those for an hour or so and went to bed around 9, which was just glorious. And with the time change, church doesn't start until 11 for us so we could actually do our studies. It was so nice, small things like that mean so much to you as a missionary. 

I wish I had some more spiritually uplifting stories to share, but nothing is coming to mind right now, so I will just share one of my favorite things that I read this week. It is Alma 7:23-25:

 23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.

 24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.

 25 And may the Lord bless you, and keep your garments spotless, that ye may at last be brought to sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the holy prophets who have been ever since the world began, having your garments spotless even as their garments are spotless, in the kingdom of heaven to go no more out.

I just love that because it lists attributes that Christ has, and that we should always strive to obtain. One of our purposes in being here on earth is to learn to become more like Him, and to return and be comfortable in His presence after this life. That is what I love about verse 25, that if we become clean through Christ's atonement, we can sit down in Heavenly Father's kingdom with all the prophets to never leave again. And that is the beautiful message that I am so blessed to share, and I am so thankful for that. 
I love you all so much!
Love,

Sister Jensen 

No comments:

Post a Comment