Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving




Dear Family,

The first week back to "normal" missionary work was not quite as normal as I expected it to be. But it has been nice to be back in the area full time and see more people as well as trying to find more people to teach. 

On Tuesday we had to go to Nampa to get new tags on our license plates. We also had to take our car to the dealership because our audio system is broken. During the time while we were waiting, we got to talk to a member from Boise who is getting ready to send her daughter out on a mission. After we got back from Nampa the rest of our day was filled with teaching all the recent converts in our area. 

Wednesday was probably one of the craziest and weirdest days of my mission. We had district meeting in the morning. Then we went to Nampa again to meet the Sister Training Leader and her companion so that we could do exchanges. I was going to stay with Sister Ramirez for the day, and as we started to drive towards Middleton I realized that I didn't get the phone from Sister Blocker. We drove to Sister Ramirez's house because she thought they would go there first, but they didn't. We then went to a member's house to use their phone to call the other sisters, and then we waited for them to come and give us the phone. Finally, we were able to go to Middleton and start working. We had a visit with a member, dinner with one of my favorite couples, a lesson with another family, and then we tried to visit another family. To backtrack a little bit, we had gotten all these delicious iced cupcakes and brownies from our dinner appointment that were just sitting in this open box. I set them on the floor in the back, which is where I usually set my purse. Well, after the lesson we had I totally threw my purse on top of all those cupcakes and brownies. As we got out of the car for our next appointment, I pick up my purse to find two or three cupcakes sticking to the bottom of it. I threw my keys on the back seat and start laughing as I wipe off the icing with some tissues. I closed the door and used the lock button on inside of my door to lock the car, something I do often because the battery in our key fob is broken. The family we were going to visit was busy, so we come back to the car and I realize my massive blunder. Both the phone and the keys were locked in the car! I don't think I had ever felt more stupid in my life. It was dark and raining as we walked a street over to a member's house where we made a few calls. We were lucky to catch them because they were just on their way out. It was almost 8 so we decided to let the member take us home. Luckily, the other sisters that we live with were home because one of them was sick, so we were able to get into the house instead of waiting until 9. The next morning, the vehicle coordinator was able to find an extra key to our car, another blessing since only about half of the cars have duplicates. They drove over to Nampa, picked us up, and we got our car back by 10am. Considering all of the circumstances, we were very blessed in all aspects of the situation. And Sister Ramirez and I got some good laughs out of the whole thing. 

Throughout this week we worked a lot with two of our investigators, A. and S. We went several evenings this week and read with S. and her in-laws. It has been a wonderful experience, immersing ourselves in the Book of Mormon with them. She has really enjoyed reading in 1 Nephi and I have been quite impressed by her understanding and how well she gets it when we read together.  I love the Book of Mormon and the power that it has to bring the Spirit and change our hearts. 

On Saturday we were able to go to the Stake Center and watch the broadcast of the Youth Cultural Celebration. It was a wonderful production, and it even made me miss being in the youth program, but just a little. They did lots of dances on the history of Idaho, everything from pioneers to rodeos and railroads to irrigation. They even did a song about family history that started out old fashioned and then turned into a rap. Then we had the dedication yesterday. We went to the 9am session because it was the only one that had the cornerstone ceremony. President Uchtdorf was his usually funny self, when they were outside it was really cold. He said to all the people out that that when you wanted to make something last forever you put it in the refrigerator, so the all of them were going to stay young and the temple would last forever. Everyone got a good laugh out of that one. All of the talks given in the Celestial Room were wonderful; I think my favorite was the Matron's talk. She talked about the possibility of seeing the Savior in this life, which at first made her nervous. She then asked one of her grandsons what he would do if they told him that Jesus was waiting in the Bishop's office and wanted to see him. The grandson said he would run very, very fast because he really, really, wanted to see Jesus. She then said that we should all work to have this attitude and desire in our lives. It was a beautiful dedication and I am excited to go to the temple, hopefully soon. 

It was a good week and I am looking forward to another here in Zion! I have been so richly blessed in this area and will be heartbroken to leave it. Thankfully, I still have time left to see many more miracles :)

Love,
Sister Jensen 





No comments:

Post a Comment