Monday, May 29, 2017

Phillips Lake

Phillips Lake

Dear Family,

We had an exhausting, busy, long week! But being busy really is the best as a missionary.  I would rather be busy and exhausted than anything else. I continue to treasure my time in this area and enjoy the beautiful spring, which I hear is when Baker is the prettiest. 

Last week we had a fun time hiking around a lake. I really like my district, but we are definitely suffering from a lack of sisters. The closest sisters are more than an hour away. The assistants came to our district meeting this week, so it was literally us and nine other elders. But it is all good because a flood of sisters are supposed to be coming in these next couple of transfers. This week we don't have a preparation day because I am going to the temple! The temple trips are on Thursdays so when you go they just ask that we designate that day as our preparation day and do work on Monday. But we do get to email and shop and do laundry today, which is seriously needed. I am so looking forward to entering the Lord's house once more




When we went to teach one of our investigators this week, we ended up getting to teach a family member as well. We taught them about having faith, repenting, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. When we taught about baptism our investigator said, "I want to be baptized! When can I be baptized?" We excitedly told her that she could be baptized and set a date for July. When we asked the family member if he wanted to be baptized that day as well, he told us he wasn't sure yet. But I hope that if he starts going to church and reading the Book of Mormon, he will be ready too.

We are still putting in preparation for C.’s baptism this week. He is super excited to be baptized. We taught him in the park again and he continues to be very prepared and ready. He has a strong desire to be active in the church after his baptism. He came to church on Sunday as well. 

On Wednesday we got to teach J., an lady that the sisters had been just visiting for the past couple of months. We asked if we could teach her the lessons and she said yes. As we were teaching her we found out that she actually took the lessons about 30 or 40 years ago, and wanted to join the church. But her husband was really against it so she decided not to. It was just a testimony to me that no effort really is wasted to share the gospel. She seems open to the idea of baptism, and I believe that as we go over the lessons again she will feel the Spirit and desire to join herself with the restored church.  She is a kindred spirit and just one of my favorite people, I love her. 

On Friday, a member came and picked us up in the morning and we made the hour and a half drive to John Day. This little town of 1,000 really is in the middle of nowhere. This member originally called us because she had someone she wanted us to teach. While our initial plan did not work out, we were able to meet R., who has been asking his neighbor a lot of questions about the church. She invited him to meet with the missionaries and we taught him the restoration! He is really prepared and already knows tons about the church. We taught him and he said that he had a lot to think about and would definitely read the Book of Mormon and prays. 


Then we went to Halfway the next day and met with another investigator there. We taught her the Plan of Salvation and she loved it. I could tell that she was really touched by the knowledge that we lived with Heavenly Father before and that He created this wonderful plan for us. We set a baptism date for her for July 22.

Like I said, busy week. But I am so so grateful to be here doing this work, it really is humbling and makes my love for the Savior and my Heavenly Father grow every day. 

Love,
Sister Jensen 
 
There is this bus in town that has been converted into a taco place.


No comments:

Post a Comment