Monday, May 1, 2017

Busiest Week Ever






Dear Family,

This week was crazy and went by so fast! I think I will just have to go day by day.

Monday
We went to Ontario for P-day and with the zone. We played Ultimate Frisbee and about 30 minutes in it started pouring, so I was soaked for the rest of the day. Also one of the elders got hit in the face with the frisbee and half of one of his front tooth was knocked out. 

Tuesday
In the morning we went to go do service for a lady who recently had neck surgery. She has three horses in her backyard so we got to brush down two of them. It was super fun, I loved just brushing them down in the beautiful weather, mountains in the background and that fresh country smell. I kept on saying to Sister Moa-Sam Fong, "I just love my mission, don’t you just love your mission?" That day we also taught J.  We talked about the restoration and Joseph Smith. She has a good testimony of it, and it was cool to hear her share it. 


Wednesday
We had zone conference in Ontario this day and had to leave around 7:45. Baker City and La Grande are in a different time zone from the rest of the mission so that makes timing a little hard sometimes, but I love it here because it is light when we wake up. But it does get darker earlier than in Idaho, hopefully that will change soon. Anyway, we had a really good zone conference. We received some training about how to help the members invite their friends to the temple open house. After zone conference we went on exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. I went to Middleton with Sister Sellar for the day. Middleton is one of the best places in the mission to serve, though it is not quite as pretty as Baker City. But I hope to serve there someday.

Thursday
I was in Middleton in the morning. We tried contacting former investigators and didn't have much luck. We went tracting before going into lunch, and we were about to knock on this one door when this man opened the door, saw us, and urgently said, "I don't have time to talk right now, we have an emergency!" and then he just stood outside talking on his phone. We went to the next house and then in a couple of minutes the fire truck and the ambulance showed up. We didn't really know what to do with ourselves after that, but you can just come across all sorts of things when you tract. We left for Baker around 1:30 then exchanged back. We then had a lesson with the W. family about the temple. I am seriously so excited for them to be sealed! And they are excited too, I will write more about them when I get to Sunday. We also got to go to Addiction Recovery with one our investigators. Addiction Recovery is one of my most favorite things ever, definitely one of the hours in my week where I feel the Spirit strongest. I would encourage everyone to read and study that manual, even if you don't have an addiction to drug and alcohol because it is just all about overcoming the natural man through the atonement of Jesus Christ. 
A family we visited got chicks and let us hold them! They were soooo soft.


Friday
We taught J. again. We talked about the apostasy and watched the restoration video. This time one of J.’s older children joined us for the lesson.  Later, J. told us that he has been asking her a lot of questions. He seems like a really good kid.

We had to leave Baker City around 6:30 pm because we had mission conference in Nampa that began at 8 the next morning. So we went and stayed with a couple of sisters in Meridian that have a really nice house with tons of space in it. So it was super fun to spend time with them, I just love our sisters. 

We were waiting for a train to move off the tracks for 15 minutes while trying to get to an appointment.

Saturday
Okay, I am not sure if I mentioned this super exciting news in any of my letters, but ELDER BEDNAR CAME TO OUR MISSION!!! That is what the mission conference was for. It was Elder Bednar, Elder Sores, Bishop Waddell, and Elder Erekson. I wish I could put this meeting into words that accurately describe what it was like. We heard short talks from the other general authorities for about the first hour. Then Elder Bednar spoke for the remaining hour and a half of the meeting. A month before this, we were asked to read four of his talks in preparation for this meeting. We read Ask in Faith, Converted unto the Lord, Seek Learning by Faith, and Always Retain a Remission of  Your Sins. He talk to us a little bit first, and talked about in the church we have a lot of really stupid cultural norms. He told us that one thing that people in the church do is take tons and tons of notes during talks and then never refer back to them. Then he set a guideline for the meeting that we were not allowed to write down anything that they said, we could only write down things that the Spirit taught us. This was so hard for me, because they made so many great comments but I did my best. Then he had us stand up and share what we learned from studying and applying these talks. After a missionary who had volunteered explained what they learned, Elder Bednar would ask them how they had learned it. This went on for a while, then he had us share what we were learning from this pattern of learning. Then, he opened it up for questions. And he told us that if we had a question already prepared to just throw it away and not ask it, he wanted us to ask things that we felt impressed upon by the Spirit to ask. I had tried to come up with a good question in the month leading up to this, and just couldn't so I didn't feel too chastised. The whole time though I really wanted to ask him a good question but felt I couldn't come up with anything good. I know it was just my fear stopping me. But the questions asked by the other missionaries were really awesome and there were some really good insights shared. Elder Bednar is so funny, there was so much laughing. And he just tries his hardest to be so real with us, I really appreciate that about him. After questions he asked again what we were learning from this teaching model. I was just really impressed upon about the importance of the Spirit in our teaching. The Spirit is so vital, and we should never get in the Holy Ghost's way by drawing attention to ourselves. Also, it really hit home to me how acting and not be the object that is acted upon is so essential to our conversion. Afterwards we got to shake hands with all of them. And I also got to see Sister Shurtleff! It was so good to give her a big hug and spend a little time talking with her. She is an amazing missionary, I was so blessed to be trained by her. 

At zone Conference with Elder Wheeler (he was in my MTC district) and Sister Messer (she came out with Sister Shurtleff and is serving in La Grande right now and is in my district.

Sunday
This was fast Sunday for us because we have Stake Conference next week. I love how this is my third stake conference on the mission. Anyway, taking the sacrament three times was just as wonderful as ever. On exchanges Sister Sellar shared with me something that she read in an Ensign article. She had read that the time we spend pondering and remembering the Savior during the Sacrament is like the hour that Christ asked His disciples to watch with Him in the garden of Gethsemane. I just loved that insight and applied it this Sunday. In our third Sacrament meeting one of our recent converts got up and bore his testimony. It was the realest, sweetest, most sincere testimony I have ever heard in my life.  He basically just got up there and talked about how he always felt so good when he came into the church building these past couple of years for scouts. He was so impressed by how happy all of the church member were, and how he wanted that happiness too. He then expressed how he is the happiest he has ever been. Later that day he and his brother were ordained to be deacons in the Aaronic Priesthood. 

Obviously, I had a really awesome and jam-packed week. I just can't believe how fast my time as a missionary is going, it is just crazy to me. But I am so thankful for this enormous blessing I have to share the gospel, to help people come to know their Savior. I know with all of my heart that it is true!!!

Love,

Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment