Sunday, October 30, 2016

Nampa West, Nampa Best!

Dear Family,

I'm here! I finished my first week in the mission field! Thank you all for your emails, it was so fun to finally get online and read everyone's updates. I really do have the greatest friends and family in the world! 

Before I get to all my adventures here in Idaho, here is a quick wrap-up from the MTC. The day after I wrote last, we had our in-field orientation, which is just a long day of workshops to prepare you for the field. It really helped me get excited and start thinking about my first area, companion, and all the people I would meet and love in the next few months. Sunday was probably one of my favorite days in the MTC. It was our last day, so the emotions were running a little high. I taught relief society to a small group of sisters. It was about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. I thought it went really well, I didn't have trouble filling up the time or getting people to participate. Sister B. and I were the branch music coordinators for that last sacrament meeting, and we requested to sing "How Firm a Foundation", ALL of the verses (which is like 7). It's been one of my favorite hymns since Elder Bednar talked about singing it in Liberia. Singing all of the verses reminded me of when Dad was bishop and always had us sing all of the verses. Like father, like daughter :) Then our district sang "ComeThou Fount of Every Blessing" for the special music number, and it was indeed special. I just have so much love for every one of those missionaries.  I loved my time so much in the MTC and am still a little homesick for it. But, I know I have a work to do and I wouldn't be anywhere else. 

The next day, I left the MTC around 4 in the morning for the airport. After riding a bus, the Front runner, and a train we finally made it. We had trouble checking in, because there was a problem with our tickets. But we were able to make it on a flight only 3 hours later. I was just so thankful that we didn't have to drag our luggage back to the MTC. And I got more time to talk with family, so it actually worked out better. The flight was great, and we were greeted at the airport by President and Sister Sorensen and the AP's. I love the Sorensen's! Sister Sorensen is very sweet and warm. President Sorensen reminds me a lot of grandpa, so that's the best thing ever. 

They took us to the mission office and I met my companion! Her name is Sister S., and I am seriously so blessed to have her as my companion. She has been out for 9 months and is such a great trainer. She works hard, is super obedient, and is fun to be with. Everything I could have asked for. 

Within a couple of hours, we were out tracting. We went to this trailer park for about an hour, and it was actually super fun. The people were really open and willing to talk to us, or at least most of them were. We talked to this lady who didn't speak any English. Sister S. knows a little Spanish, so she was able to talk with her a little bit. She was so sweet, she gave us all these apples. We couldn't exactly tract with them, so we just stuffed them in our bags when we walked away. But the lady was still watching us I guess because came and gave us plastic bags to put the apples in. She was so sweet, I loved her so much. 

That first day was so long, I remember being so tired. The Sorensen's took us to dinner, since it was a small group. Only four new missionaries came in, which I hear was nice compared to the 20ish that came in last transfer. After dinner, we drove home! Our area is Nampa West. Also, Sister S. is new to this area, meaning we are "shot gunning" or "whitewashing". Since we are both new, it has been a little abnormal. We have spent a lot of time visiting people. We have visited members, less actives, and past investigators.

One investigator we have is J. She was a caretaker for this older couple that joined the church about a year ago, and she is also pretty golden. We met her at church yesterday and are hoping to teach her tonight. She is really funny and personable. She changed around her work schedule so she could come to church, so we already know that she is awesome. 

Since we cover two wards, we go to five hours of church on Sunday. Taking the sacrament twice was really uplifting. I am so excited that I get to do that every Sunday. We continue to meet people in the wards, everyone is really so nice and really motivated to help the missionaries. We have gotten several referrals from the members already, which are really the best people to teach. 

While I am still adjusting to missionary life, this past week has been really great and I am so happy to be a missionary! I am still figuring everything out, and probably will be for a while, but for now I am doing my best to enjoy every experience and live up to my call as a representative of Jesus Christ. My love for my Savior has grown so much and I just desire for everyone here in Nampa to feel His love for them. 

Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment