Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A wedding, a 5K and the Meridian Temple Open House



Dear Family,

I am sorry that I won't have as much to report on, since I just emailed on Wednesday. But I do have several happy things to talk about so no worries. 
We had another lesson on Wednesday with one of our investigators. We received the happy news that her and her boyfriend of 26 years were married that day! We were very happy and excited for her! We read 3 Nephi 11 with her that night, but before we did we watched a short video called "My Joy is Full".  I think it is just a beautiful portrayal of the Savior ministering to the inhabitants of America, His other sheep. She seemed to think so too as she shed a few tears. I was happy that we could help her feel the Spirit. On Friday was her reception and that was fun to attend for a little bit. Then yesterday, she came to church! It was the primary program, so that was perfect. We hope and pray that she will feel comfortable enough to attend next week too. We have another lesson with her tonight.

On Friday we had our zone conference, and it was unlike any zone conference I have been too. They told us sometime in the summer that we would be doing a 5K in October, and that is what we did. They split the mission in half, and we did ours on Friday. I was just planning on walking it, because I was too lazy to train for it. I ended up walking with Sister Smith, the sister that Sister Moa-Sam Fong trained. She is really funny, I love her. Anyway, somehow we motivated each other to run for parts of it. They had us do 6 figure eights around the stake center, and we decided to run for the last one. We did the whole thing in about 45 minutes. Many of the elders showed up in all sorts of onsies. Elder Wheeler, my MTC buddy, came in an inflatable dinosaur costume. After the race we had lunch then went into the gym to do minute to win it sort of games. We did a brainteasers, we knocked over water bottles with tights and tennis balls on our heads, we did the cookie on the face thing, and we even played corn hole, which I scored a couple of points in, surprisingly. It was a super fun zone conference. Also, we did have a training at the very beginning. President Sorensen talked to us about the Book of Mormon, since it was a major topic at conference. He challenged us all to read the Book of Mormon in three months with a question or topic in mind. In the front of my fresh copy of the Book of Mormon I wrote this:

Matthew 10:39 
She that findeth her life shall lose it: and she that loseth her life for my sake shall find it. 
How can I lose myself in service to Heavenly Father?
So that is the scripture and question that I will be pondering as I read the Book of Mormon once again. 



Saturday was spent at the temple open house. The three days I have been there were really slow, since it actually hasn't started yet. They have just been doing tours for the members and other VIP tours. But there were several people who just saw that something was happening in the temple and came to check it out, and they end up just walking in to take a tour. Several of them have been neighbors of other faiths, so that has been fun and a good preview of what is to come. One couple came through and watched the video, and we found out they were not members when the husband asked if there was coffee at the end. They were very friendly and I enjoyed talking to them. Later, I heard a tour guide mention that she took them through the temple, and the wife just kept on turning to her and telling her how peaceful it was. At the end of the day we were scheduled to be at the reception tent at the end of the tour. I was a little sad about this because then we couldn't jump onto the last tour like we could if we were in the video room. However, when we were in the tent, a set of sisters came out of a tour, and told us how they had been in the video room, but due to the lack of people they closed it and told the sisters that they could go on a tour. They then asked if they wanted to take our place in the tent so we could go on a tour, and we said yes, of course. So we just walked to the front of the temple, and they let us go in and wait for the next tour to come. We had to wait about 10 minutes, so we just sat by the recommend desk and enjoyed the peace of the temple. Then we took another tour, which was wonderful. I am so very grateful to be serving a mission here at this time. And I am so excited for this Saturday, for the open house to officially begin :) 

Love,
Sister Jensen 


No comments:

Post a Comment