Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Baptism





I love these mountains!

Dear Family,

This week was a little bit of everything. I feel like I experienced the full spectrum of missionary emotions in just this week. The Wood family got baptized! That was the definite high point of the week, and probably will be one of the high points of my mission as well. Many people came, we had to hold it in the chapel because of the amount of people. All of Jared's family is active, so the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all came as well as members from both of the Baker wards. Two of Jared's brothers gave talks and it was so cool to hear them talk about how they never thought this day would come, that Tricia and the boys would join the church. As soon as the first brother started speaking both Jared and Tricia just lost it. Tricia was baptized first by Jared's dad, then Jared baptized the two boys! That was a kind of last minute change to the program, but in our last lesson with them we showed them a baptism from the district where a formerly less-active father baptized his wife. Seeing that made Sean and Henry want their dad to do it, who was worthy and able to do it. It took him a while to actually baptize Henry, I believe it was his first time ever baptizing someone. They just stood in the water for a minute or two while tears streamed down Jared's cheeks until he could finally find the words, then baptized Henry and only had to do it once. Then he baptized Sean without a problem. It was just the coolest experience, the Spirit was so strong and I can't even describe how grateful I was to be there. They were confirmed in Sacrament Meeting yesterday and we again felt that Spirit. In the blessing (which was performed by Jared's dad) after they received the Holy Ghost, there was mention of going to the temple to be sealed and later on for missions to be served. I was just grinning ear to ear the whole time I was listening to them. I have great faith in them that they will continue on this journey they are embarking on to return back to their Heavenly Father as a forever family. 

We had a super cool miracle this week! So we got a media referral for this lady named Maria. There was barely any information about Maria and why she wanted to meet with us, it only gave her first name and her address. Well, we drove by the address and it turned out to be a place where you could get dentures. So we were a bit confused. We went inside and asked if there was anybody there by the name of Maria, and the receptionist told us there wasn't. We get in the car disappointed, but then decide that we should follow the counsel in Preach My Gospel to go tracting around media referrals. I got to be honest though, I was so not feeling it. It was kind of an ugly part of town and it was cold and rainy. So I just prayed to Heavenly Father that we could just please find someone who was open and humble enough to accept this message. We try one house and no one answers. We try the next, and we talk to this guy named Craig who was grilling outside. He was friendly and talked to us for a couple of minutes. He has family members who are active but he really wasn't interested. The last house we tried was situated behind the denture place. There were TONS of cigarettes outside the door and a couple of cases of beer. So I didn't have the greatest attitude walking up to this door. But we knocked and this really pretty blonde girl our age answers the door. Then, Sister Moa-Sam Fong is like, "I know you!" The girl invites us in and it turns out that the sisters met her before I came. They had gone to a restaurant with some members for dinner and this girl (Her name is Emily) is a waitress there. The members they were with are good friends with her so they were like, "Do you want to meet with the missionaries?" and she was like, "Yeah, sure!" And even before that the zone leaders ran into her there at the restaurant and again at another restaurant in town. She was talked to her for a couple of minutes in her entry way and she said she still wants to meet with us, and has just been waiting for that member to text her about it. So HUGE answer to prayer! That did happen on Tuesday and we have had a hard time getting to contact with her since then, but I am still praying that it will work out. I have seen a trend in my mission where I see little miracles like this but nothing ever comes of it while I am there. But that doesn't that nothing doesn't ever come of it, I just don't see it and that is okay. I just want to fulfill the work that Heavenly Father has for me to do now. 

We have kind of a busy day today, so that will be all for now. Just know that I am loving life here in Baker City! I have a testimony that the Lord's hand is in this work and I am so grateful to be a part of it. 
Love,
Sister Jensen



 a one-legged peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment